Move over avocado toast…Mermaid toast is the newest Instagram craze. This inventive piece of toast, inspired by the Vibrant and Pure recipe, brings underwater magic to your mundane mornings. I was super inspired by the ombré blue colour of this toast, as I love all things turquoise, and wanted to recreate it the moment I saw it.
Now, this isn’t by any means a breakfast I’d put on my meal-plans unless you have about 30 extra minutes to spare and want to smear around various shades of almond cream cheese. It’s also a LOT of almonds (the cream cheese is made of it) so it is a bit dense. Consider it a special treat or replacement for the spoons of almond butter you end up eating late at night anyway. (It didn’t count if nobody’s looking, right? And it could be worse!)
What gives the cream cheese this beautiful blue colour is the spirulina. Spirulina is a blue-green algae that is one of the healthiest foods on the planet. It’s rich in protein and iron, making it a great option for those on a plant-based diet. It comes from the sea, making it also rich in trace minerals, which most of us are deficient in. I also added in some green with chlorophyll, another superfood that is incredible for detoxifying your body.
This toast is like an art project. There are no rules and you just have to let your creativity flow.
My favorite toast is the one on the bottom left topped with the blackberries. It was actually the one I did the least smearing with and I love how you can still see the white, giving it a gorgeous light sky-blue effect. If I could go back in time, I would have smeared all of them less so the white remained visible. (I was just having way too much fun smearing the colors around.)
The one on the top right was also really interesting because the chlorophyll created the green effect. I topped it with fig, which also has a green undertone.
The other two on the right I mixed all of the shades together so it sort of ended up just blue but if you look closely, you can see the undertones of green and white come out. I suggest not over-smearing so you don’t lose the subtlety of the white and the ombré effect.
Now that you’re more excited about toast then you ever thought you’d be, here is the recipe:
- 4 slices of your choice of toast
- 8 tbsp. almond cream cheese (or Greek yogurt or labné)
- About 1 tbsp. spirulina
- 2 drops chlorophyll
- Optional: 1 tsp. Lakanto Powdered Sugar for sweetness
- Your choice of fruit (I did blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, and figs)
You have to kind of get creative while making this recipe because there are no detailed instructions. You sort of just have to feel it out and go with the mermaid flow.
- Separate the cream cheese into four small bowls. I added about 1/2 tbsp. spirulina to one bowl, 1/4 tbsp. to another bowl, and 1/8 tbsp. to the third. I left the fourth bowl white. I added 2 drops of chlorophyll to the third bowl to create a kind of aqua color.
- Mix each bowl individually with separate spoons. I personally like leaving the colours a bit streaky so I didn’t mix it until it was completely blue but left the more pigmented streaks for the mermaid-y feel.
- Use an offset spatula, or butter knife, to cover the first piece of toast with white cream cheese. Then add a streak of the light blue and swipe in a motion mimicking waves. Continue adjusting and adding various shades of blue until you get the aesthetic that you like.
- Once you’ve gotten the effect you like, sprinkle your toast with some extra spirulina, for added blue depth.
- Top with your choice of fruit.
- Take a million pictures for Instagram because you just made your first mermaid toast (and maybe your last after you saw what an effort that was!)
You can replace the almond cream cheese for Greek yogurt or labné, which would definitely be more cost-effective, though it will taste different.
You can also make it sweet, while keeping it sugar-free, by mixing some Lakanato Monk fruit Sweetener into your cream cheese or yogurt. It’s derived from monk fruit and has no impact on your blood sugar levels, making it perfect for those tracking their sugar intake for weight loss, health or cognitive reasons. As an ambassador for Lakanto, I’m happy to be able to offer 40% off to my readers for any Lakanto Product—just use SAHARA at checkout.
Think of this toast like a creative art project – there are no rules!
Let your perfectionism go and feel your imagination flow!
Your cream cheese is your paint and your toast is your canvas!