Makes: 2 Servings
- 2 tbsp cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or grass-fed ghee
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 large and wide garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsp ginger, thinly sliced and minced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp fresh cardamom powder
- 3 full fresh fennel sprigs
- 1 large beetroot chopped into chunks
- ½ a large and long baking potato chopped into small chunks
- 3 cups veggie broth
- 1 tbsp apple sauce
- 1 tsp salt/or to taste (depending on the salt content of the veggie broth)
- Preheat the stove to medium/high heat. Once heated, add the oil, ghee, ginger, onion, garlic, spices and a dash of salt to a cooking pot and place it over the stove. Fry the ingredients together until they reach a golden colour.
- When the onions, ginger and garlic have turned golden, turn down the heat to medium temperature and add in the fennel sprigs, chopped potatoes, beets and mix them together while frying until they are fully coated with the spices (30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Pour in the vegetable broth, turn up the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Once the soup is brought to a boil, add the apple sauce and salt and give the soup a good mix.
- Turn down the heat to low/medium temperature, cover the pot and allow the soup to slowly cook for 40 minutes.
- When the soup has finished cooking, turn off the stove and use a fork to make sure the beets and potatoes have softened.
- Use a hand blender or a standing blender to blend the soup until it has reached a smooth consistency. Make sure to handle the hot soup safely in the standing blender. Allow the soup time to cool before immediately blending.
- When the soup is ready and blended, pour the soup in a bowl and top with some yogurt, fennel, cilantro or parsley.
Serve and enjoy!