Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup naturally contains antioxidants from tomatoes, onion, chilli, and spices. However, Kat Krivanek, R.H.N has taken this classic dish a step further by adding chicken bone broth with naturally occurring collagen, which compliments the list of traditional ingredients nicely. When we think of collagen, most of us are familiar with its role in healthy hair, skin and nails. Although it doesn’t stop there — collagen fibres are major building blocks in bones, joints and blood vessels.
If you’re looking to implement more collagen into your diet, using bone broth in your day-to-day cooking is an excellent method. Try this ‘set it and forget it’ Chicken Tortilla Soup which makes for an easy weeknight dinner made right in the slow cooker. The best slow cooker soup recipes include a wide variety of flavours and colours just like this one, and most of the ingredients are ones you likely already have in the pantry and fridge!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
4 – 6 servings
1 tbsp avocado oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
1 yellow onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 jalapeños, seeded and finely diced
2 limes, juiced
3.5 cups canned crushed tomatoes
2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup sweet corn, canned or frozen
5 cups organic chicken broth
2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Optional (but recommended) garnishes:
Tortilla strips or tortilla chips
Sour cream, plain Greek yogurt or dairy-free alternative
Shredded Monterey jack, cheddar or dairy-free cheese
Diced green onion
- Add avocado oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken thighs with salt, pepper and half the paprika, then add to the skillet and brown on each side.
- Once browned, transfer chicken to a slow cooker.
- Add garlic, onion and jalapeño to the same pan and sauté for a few minutes till onions are translucent. Transfer everything over to the slow cooker.
- Next, add the crushed tomatoes, black beans, sweet corn, chicken broth, chilli powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook soup on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove cooked chicken, shred, then add back to the slow cooker. Add the lime juice, stir to combine and adjust any seasonings to your liking. When you’re ready to serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with some garnishes!
Kat Krivanek is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, certified personal trainer, Digital Account Executive and Ambassador with Vista Magazine. Through nutrition consulting and healthy lifestyle programs, she promotes a holistic approach to gut health, increasing energy and weight management using real, nutrient-dense foods and simple recipes that fit busy lifestyles. @katkrivaneknutrition www.katkrivaneknutrition.com
Find more free healthy recipes, health and wellness articles, and podcast episodes here.
Pin this recipe for later: